Carice van Houten will appear at Con of Thrones

Con of Thrones, an upcoming fan convention dedicated to all things Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire, has added another guest to its lineup, and it may be the most impressive one yet.

First, here’s who they already have coming:
Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton)
Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon)
Kate Dickie (Lysa Arryn)
Rupert Vansittart (Yohn Royce)
Sam Coleman (Young Hodor)
Aimee Richardson (Myrcella Baratheon)
Miltos Yerolemou (Syrio Forel)
David Peterson (the conlanger behind the Dothraki and Valyrian languages)
Tommy Dunne (the show’s Weapons Master)

Now, Mischief Management has announced that Carice van Houten, the Red Woman herself, will also be in attendance!

Con of Thrones will take place at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee from Friday, June 30 through Sunday, July 2, well-timed to feed off the Game of Thrones hype sure to be building before the July 16 premiere of season 7.

Should we read anything into the fact that van Houten, arguably the highest-profile guest, is attending the convention rather than, say, working on Game of Thrones? Probably not. Shooting on season 8 won’t begin until later in the year, so she can do what she likes with her time until then. There’s no reason to panic about Melisandre’s fate yet, although I’m sure she’ll get that question at the con.

For tickets and more information, head here.

Source: Winter Is Coming

Guy Pearce and van Houten welcome a baby boy

Guy Pearce and Carice van Houten welcome a baby boy, say they plan to ‘keep him’

Guy Pearce and Carice van Houten are now parents, The Times has confirmed — and their first-time baby announcement is equal parts cute and quirky.

“A cute little package arrived and told us his name’s Monte Pearce,” the “Memento” actor tweeted Monday. “We think we’re gonna keep him. Placenta smoothie anyone?”

Aww! And, um, eww …

“Both Carice and Monte are doing very well,” said a rep for Van Houten, the Dutch actress who plays Melisandre on “Game of Thrones.” The baby was born last week, though they’re keeping the exact birth date “L.A. Confidential” for now.

Cute fact: When the couple announced in March that they were expecting a child, they were already anticipating some “shadowbaby” jokes. “GoT” fans will understand why.

Aussie actor Pearce, 48, and Van Houten, who turns 40 next week, worked together in on the western thriller “Brimstone,” which premieres next month at the Venice Film Festival.

They sparked relationship rumors early this year when they were photographed grocery shopping together in Los Angeles, E! News reported. In January 2015, Pearce split with Kate Mestitz, his high school sweetheart, following 18 years of marriage. That couple announced their divorce last October.

Source: Los Angeles Times

Game of Thrones: HBO confirms season 8 will be last


HBO has just answered a huge lingering question about Game of Thrones.

EW asked the network’s new programming president Casey Bloys if he plans to go along with showrunners’ David Benioff and Dan Weiss’ oft-stated desire to end their fantasy hit with season 8.

Bloys said yes, that is the current plan – the first time somebody at HBO has confirmed this.

“Yes, they have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do,” Bloys said at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday. “Believe me, as the new [programming executive] coming in, if I could get them to do more. I would take 10 more seasons. But we take their lead on what they think they can do the best version of the show.”

The showrunners have also planned for the eighth season to consist of merely six episodes. On that front, however, Bloys said the exact number of season eight episodes is not yet final.

We then asked if the team is considering a Thrones spin-off to continue the valuable franchise. Thrones is one of TV’s most watched shows with 25 million total viewers this year across all platforms.

“We’ve talked about it,” he said. “It’s something I’m not opposed to, but of course it has to make sense creatively. I’m not sure that [Benioff and Weiss] could really wrap their heads around it when they’re just about to start production [on season 7]. It’s a pretty intense production, they’re about to start production soon. I’m open to it. The guys weren’t opposed to it, but there’s no concrete plans for it at this point.”

Also, with the production delay of season seven – which will debut its seven episodes next summer – the executive confirmed the plan will take Thrones out of the running for the Emmys next year. Thrones received 23 prime-time 2016 Emmy nominations, more than any other show, but requires a heavy amount of winter location shooting for the next season (locations include a production unit filming in Iceland).

Still, Bloys pointed out, “Even if we took Thrones Emmys away this year, we’d still have more than anyone else.”

The executive was also asked about the fate of True Detective, and had this to say.

Read More | Source: Entertainment Weekly